Well, Bugs and I, from my previous post have made many more strides on my “wascally web app”. (Pardon the pun, but I’m full of them when I’m trying to make sense of this stuff.) Now, it’s deployed and useful. I’m at the stage, now, where it’s fun working on it and making the incremental improvements which ensure that my admins will not only use it, but will like how it comes out.
The nice part was solving each of these incremental mysteries and then improving it without saying, “I can’t do this, solve it for me,” on the various boards. I added in a search feature for subscriptions based on the user id so I can grab each users subscriptions. It was built in response to not being able to delete a user until the subscriptions were accounted for because of foreign key relationships. Later, read today, I changed the table structure of the underlying subscription table to enable cascade deletions so when you delete a user, the database also deletes the user’s subscriptions.
I’ve left the ID to be set by the admin because it works and because I can reuse IDs that way for deletions. Oracle’s default behaviour is to reserve 20 id’s at a time when you write an incremental ID trigger. So this seems to circumvent that. It’s a little more work from the admin, but it’s not too onerous.
I built my dropdown lists with a little bit of help and then added those into the page along with finding the IE problem. It turned out to be client side and with a little adjustment to the quirks mode, it’s all good. So this is, effectively, done and deployed. YaY!!