Out-thinking, but not outwitting myself

Like any good programmer, I keep trying to re-factor some of my code to make it more efficient, better, etc. Now that I’ve become more comfortable with Linq to EF and Oracle together, I realized it would be time to re-write our Hot Calls program. (Not what you think folks). Even though Syncfusion has come out with one of their Succinctly series books on NHibernate, I don’t know that I’m going to make the switch just yet. I would like to try it as a test some day so I can get familiar with it, in case I ever have need of it.

However, I started with the Poller which scans a database of incoming calls and takes the newest calls to a series of temp tables for the logic program to handle. This program doesn’t really lend itself well to either EF or Linq for that matter; so I’ve written the SQL by hand but I still wanted to tweak it. The headache was the first place which lends itself best to the tweaking was the exception handling. Finally, I’ve wrapped my head around overloading my functions enough that I’ve built workable overloaded mailing and logging functions which I can reuse as I’ve wanted to do for some time. Doing this appears to remove nearly 40% of my code base. That is going to be a huge difference across all of these functions. I know I have more re-factoring to do along the way and soon it will be even tighter. (Don’t worry, the commenting is still as verbose as always.)

Yay! Hail the little victories here and there when you can get them.

Advertisements